Westchester & Rockland County Family Lawyers
Call Today! 914.873.4410
Child Support

Child Support Lawyer in Westchester County

Experienced Help for Your Child Support Case

In the state of New York, child support is calculated through a predetermined percentage; however, there is much that a lawyer can do to help you reach a child support amount that is best for both you and your child.

Our attorneys at Friedman & Friedman PLLC, Attorneys at Law have more than 90 years of combined experience and knowledge in divorce and family law, including New York child support laws. As a result, we may be able to influence what percentage is enforced for your child support case.

Contact a child support attorney in Westchester today if you are getting a divorce or separation agreement and need to resolve any child support matters. Our team of child support lawyers has more than 90 years of combined experience and is fully committed to providing exceptional representation through the life of your case. We represent clients throughout Westchester County, NY, so call today to discuss how our team can help.

Call (914) 873-4410 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.

Protecting the Best Interests of Your Children & Your Wallet

Child support amounts vary depending upon the jurisdiction, as well as the details of each particular case. Generally speaking, the court will use a predetermined percentage in order to calculate the amount of child support to be paid by the non-custodial parent. While there are often set percentages for cases involving a combined parental income of below $136,000, percentages may also apply in cases involving higher income.

Combined parental income is determined by taking the parents' income from their most recent income tax return and then deducting certain required items, including social security and New York City tax, if applicable. In general, the child support percentage then calculated will vary depending upon the number of children, as well as the jurisdiction.

Modifying Child Support in New York

What happens if circumstances change and you can no longer afford to pay child support? What if you believe that your child should be receiving more support from the paying parent? In these situations, you may qualify to have your child support order modified by a family law judge.

Modifications can only be made if the petitioning party can prove that there has been a "substantial change in circumstances." Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Loss of employment for either parent
  • A significant reduction of income for either parent
  • Illness or disability of the paying parent
  • A change in the child's medical needs
  • A change in the child's place of residence (that affects support)

Child support orders will only be modified if the family law judge agrees that the change is in the child or children's best interests. Make sure you have a skilled lawyer on your side if you need to have your support order modified.

Child Support Attorney in Westchester, NY

With our extensive legal experience and our familiarity with Westchester County child custody matters in particular, Friedman & Friedman PLLC, Attorneys at Law is more than qualified to help you with your legal matter. Our Westchester County child support lawyers understand just how important this matter is to you and to your children. As a result, we will fight to assert your rights every step of the way.

Do you need legal assistance with a child support matter? Call a Westchester County child support attorney today at (914) 873-4410!

Let Us Provide the Compassionate Care You Deserve.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.